April 23, 2011: With the sesquicentennial of the Civil War, West Virginia becomes an active participant in the history of that era of the United States. On June 3, 1863 the forces of the Union under the command of General George McClellan and the immediate command of Colonels Benjamin F. Kelley and Ebenezar Dumont met the forces of the Confederate Army under the command of Colonel George Porterfield at the covered bridge at Philippi, Virginia (it became Philippi, West Virginia on June 20, 1863) spanning the Tygart Valley River.
It is believed that the first battlefield amputations took place during this battle, both Confederate soldiers – VMI cadet, Fauntleroy Daingerfield and a college student, James E. Hanger who lost his leg. After recovering, James Hanger made himself a leg, hinged at the knee, from barrel staves. The Virginia State Legislature commissioned him to make the “Hanger Limb” for other wounded Civil War veterans – the beginning of the Hanger Orthopedic Group, Inc.
In addition to being the location of the bridge across the Tygart, Philippi had railroad and was near Grafton, a railroad center for the Baltimore & Ohio.
The Blue Gray Reunion will take place June 2, 2011 at Philippi, West Virginia at Noon.
Near the east end of the Philippi Covered Bridge is the Depot that is now a museum.
The mummies at the Museum are featured on Innteractive Inns.
Come to the Gillum House Bed & Breakfast to find these and more of the history of the War Between the States in West Virginia.
Tags: Anna Jarvis, Battle of Philippi, Blue Gray Reunion, Civil War, Covered Bridge, Depot, George McClellan, Grafton, Jarvis House, Mother's Day Shrine, mummies, mummy, Philippi, Philippi Covered Bridge